Quizlet is a free, very well-designed vocabulary flashcard website that allows teachers to created and uploads wordlists of their choice and learners to study these words via a wide range of word learning flashcards, games and tests. Thanks to the hard work of Jeffrey Hanks , Joseph Phillips, Paul Raines and others, you can now practice and learn all of the NGSL and NAWL words via this website.
A special thanks to Paul Raines who worked so hard to offer the NGSL, NAWL and TSL on Quizlet in so many different languages (16!). NGSL and NAWL sets appear on this page. For the TSL sets, please use the pulldown to the left or click here.
A search of Quizlet will reveal literally dozens of versions of our NGSL and NAWL lists on the site, but here are the most popular formats. Enjoy!
New General Service List Flashcards(NGSL):
- learn the NGSL in 50 word blocks here
- learn the NGSL in 100 word blocks here
- learn the NGSL in 560 word blocks here (this matches the 5 levels of the NGSL Test making it easier to assign students to study words at the right level)
New Academic Word List Flashcards (NAWL):
- learn the NAWL in 50 word blocks here
- learn the NAWL in 480 word blocks here (matches the 2 levels of the NAWL Test making it easier to assign students to study words at the right level)
Other languages (NGSL/NAWL/TSL):
- The NGSL, NAWL and TSL are now available for Quizlet in 16 different languages. Paul Raines originally had them up directly on the Quizlet site, but they needed to be taken down due to too many lists being associated with one account. Fortunately Paul has figured out a good workaround by making all files available in .csv format from his website. He's generated definitions and part-of-speech from public domain dictionaries for the following languages: Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, and Turkish. Links to the lists can be found via a blogpost on his website here: