New Academic Word List 1.0
A New Academic Word List (NAWL) was also developed by Dr. Charles Browne, Dr. Brent Culligan and Joseph Phillips (2013), to work in conjunction with the NGSL in the same way that Averil Coxhead's excellent AWL worked in conjunction with the original GSL. The NAWL is based on a carefully selected academic corpus of 288 million words as follows:
CEC: Academic journals, non-fiction, student essays, & academic discourse
Oral: MICASE (Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken), and
BASE (British Academic Spoken English)
Textbooks: Corpus of 100s of top-selling academic textbooks
More information about the NAWL can be found at our dedicated website here. Direct links to downloadable versions of the NAWL word list as well as NAWL teaching, analytical, text creation and research tools are found below.
Downloadables for NAWL 1.0 word list:
- NAWL in alphabetical order
- NAWL with inflected forms
- NAWL with SFI (Standard Frequency Indexes)
- NAWL with Definitions in English and Japanese
Links for NAWL 1.0 word list:
- NAWL Flashcards on Quizlet (with English definitions, in 50 word blocks by frequency)
- NAWL Flashcards on Memrise (with Japanese definitions)
- NAWL/NGSL on VocabProfile text analysis tool
- NAWL/NGSL file for use with AntWordProfiler text analysis tool (at bottom of page under "other resources")
- NAWL/NGSL on OGTE online graded text editing tool
New Academic Word List by Browne, C., Culligan, B., and Phillips, J. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://www.charlie-browne.com.